Monday, January 14, 2013

Sex and the Tri-City


This post is strictly and only about the commoners.

Ever since Nirbhaya, the gang rape victim, left us for a better world I have been on the lookout for some sort of a shift in the societal paradigm regarding women and the general attitude towards them. And it may be too soon to speak but I am sensing a change. I can’t speak for rest of the country but I feel somewhat elated to tell you that Chandigarh and the tri-city area sure seem to have learnt a lesson or two.

I am not talking about myself here – I barely even step out of my security zone (anymore) for the fear of the unknown- yes, I am paranoid like that. But that still does not change the fact that I am a born observer – Good or bad, I can’t comment – but the truth is that not even a non-threatening middle aged autorickshaw driver can escape unobserved if I am on the watch. 
And let’s give the credit where it is due – it may have taken a blast – but the men finally seem to have awakened. Yes, don’t look so surprised – it’s you I am talking about.
I don’t know about other girls but I am here to compliment you for the changed attitude that I have witnessed off late and I wish it lasts.

 If I can be brutally sceptic about men when I feel that they deserve it (so much so that some of my friends have started naming me a chauvinist) then I can also speak up for you when I feel that you are doing your bit.

Let's start with the..  
Traffic signals – I can’t tell you the number of times I have witnessed men gawking shamelessly at a girl – especially if she is on a two-wheeler- at a traffic signal. As if they are the potential buyers and she is an item on display – I don’t know whether it is just me or it is actually so – but I have not seen a single man do that in the span of last two to three weeks. Bravo!
Cinema halls – Well, I was out watching Matru ki bijli ka mandola last night and there is this scene where Bijli emerges from the water clad in skimpy-skimpy clothes. And we are used to it to such an extent, that the moment she popped out of the water I almost covered my ears – in order to avoid hearing any explicit male fantasy. But again – I was in for a big – big surprise – not a single fellow said anything that would have made every girl in the hall shift uncomfortably in her seat – an occasional whistle may be- but that was it. Trust me, I am telling the truth. Decent movie, by the way. Panakj Kapoor steals the show and also there is a hidden surprise in the form of Babbar junior – he has done justice to his role.
Media – The public outcry against “main balatkari hun”. I was so happy to see people- when they finally started seeing that there is something terribly wrong with the songs that have been doing rounds in the Indian hip-hop market. It was high time that these self-proclaimed rappers were given a brush of reality. Not just Honey Singh – there are a lot others too. But the way people rejected the kingpin – I am sure the tit-bits will take a hike themselves. You may be talented – nobody is denying that – but the fact is that it remains to be seen yet – through a more sophisticated portal.
Social media – God! The way my facebook homepage used to be flooded with people posting statuses/pictures/links/videos depicting women in a very unwelcome way. All that seems to have mellowed down big time – it hasn’t vanished completely – but yes, there is a big cut down. Kudos!
The Police: Last but not the least, the Police. I have seen it. I have seen it in their eyes. I have sensed it. They are a changed lot. I see them every day on my way to work and on my way back. There is something different and by different- I mean, Good different. I have seen that look of responsibility - and how I wish that it is there to stay.

So three cheers to the change and three cheers to the change-makers!





8 comments:

yadwinder singh said...

Di....
Afcourse dere's a change... Back in times wen i used to any f frnz doin sme cheap kinda activity... I used to think like.. "Chalo... Atleast m nt like him"...
Bt nw i tell dem at dere face to hve some "Shame"... Nd dey do listen....
And i really believe... It z A change... We hve to do it ourselves.... Afta ol No angel z goin to come down fr d welfare.. We hve to become our own heroes...

Stu said...

such a valid point you have made - i couldn't agree more with u - guys are changing really..!!

Unknown said...

Stutee u dnt steal my time.ur thots and words reverberates ideas which appeases me.if a single comment of mine enthuse and reinvigorates ur passion,I consider myself glad.nw this post it made me feel good....atlest a girl is a visual spectator to the change in the malevolent etiquettes of men.I wish I cud say this for Delhi too....bt someday....I liked this One.....kudos.

Talitha said...

"I have seen it in their eyes!"
Hallelujah...now all that remains is for them to retain this!

Stu said...

Thanks Parth - you are a gem of a person.. I know you know how much this feedback means to me.. thanks yet again.

Unknown said...

Well said n well defined...!!
Good job Stutee.... All the best for ur rest of works to come..

Stu said...

@taitha - Amen!

Stu said...

@ruby - God alone knows how happy I am to see you here mwah!